Monday, October 13, 2008

It's not only Monday; it's a Monday in which Tianna is not here at work with me! That's just never good.

Things I've been attempting to do simultaneously:
  1. Load books online (and there were so dang many that I was using both my computers for this). Into 7 separate collections, no less. (That doesn't make it any more difficult, but it makes it harder for me to keep track of things in my head.)
  2. My own project, the reprocessing of 5,000 (a.k.a., "a never-ending slew of") BYU books (which involves using one computer to load the pages into the software, and another to actually process them). Today, I have finished a whopping one.
  3. (Please note that on any normal day, the list would stop here. The above is my general job these days. Not today!) Jeri was having a fit at BYU, so she set me on a project: review all the different Browse options on our site and figure out which ones were hitting the wrong collections and email those silly BYU people and get them to fix it. (Jeri didn't actually say "silly;" she called them "doughheads.") This involved a lot of squintiness, as I was poring through some very cramped and very lengthy urls. Oh, and, of course, ASAP. (Seriously, why can't people just do what I tell them to the first time? This whole project was completely unnecessary!)
  4. Somehow, a patron got hold of Elder Hendrix on the phone about a faulty printpdf online. Normally, this would be T's department. Not today! Of course, when I got looking into it, I didn't have any problems with that printpdf whatsoever, so I didn't actually end up having to create a new one (thank goodness). I just forwarded it on to T so she can contact the patron tomorrow and figure out what their deal is.
  5. I got 2 separate requests to "remove this book from the archive ASAP." Those are simple, but involve a handful of steps each. And time. If any of the stuff on the list could be accomplished quickly, this post wouldn't exist, as I wouldn't have been trying to do all these things at once.
  6. Remember that single, solitary book I processed today? It had problems, and I kept having to go back and tell the software that there was really nothing wrong and it could generate pdfs just fine. (Unreject, already! There's not a doggone thing wrong with those pages, I promise! Blasted, wretched Kofax, why don't you ever trust me?)
  7. I started working on a 1400-page book, which prospect thrilled me not at all. As I got looking at it, however, I realized that it was actually 2 distinct volumes that had been put online as one. So I got approval from JP to split it, then got down to the nitty gritty of actually doing so. This meant separating files and changing a bunch of metadata and such, in addition to deleting the second half of the book from the batch I'd already loaded it into and re-scanning it separately. Again, this was mostly time-consuming, though it also required that I attend to a bunch of titchy details.
  8. Remember those books I was loading? At about this point in the day, I discovered that one of the books sent to me from our Houston site had already been processed in Orem. So I got to discuss it with JP, decide which one to keep, and then delete t'other one.
  9. I was emailed a list of data to input into one of our databases. (This hardly qualifies for the list, as it's outrageously simple and straightforward. It was only vexing because of the 8 other things I was already trying to do.)
  10. Remember those books I was still loading? (I'm really not kidding about trying to do all of this stuff at once.) Fort Wayne sent me a totally busted book. We're still not sure how it got in that particular condition. I believe we're writing it off to gremlins in the system. I looked at it for a long time, and it makes no sense at all. Guess it's just one of those things that you have to expect when you work with computers. I ended up telling FW to reprocess it.
  11. And, to top it all, my acquisition station (the software I use to load books) froze. I was so close to being done with it, too! I had to crash out and restart it and argue with it and bully it into submission. It's hardly something I'm incapable of, but I don't like doing it, y'know?
Fortunately, things are finally calming down, now that all the non-lazy-bums who got here at a reasonable hour have been gone for a long time. (As clearly evidenced by the fact that I finally had a minute to write this up.) Phew!

No comments: