Monday, March 16, 2009

Friday the 13th

I didn't even realize until after I got home on Friday and Kyle pointed it out to me that it was Friday the 13th, but that explained a lot. The day was basically dreadful.
  • Jeri had me change the IP address on my computer in Orem, which I did from home via remote access. Of course, as soon as that change took place, it kicked me off the connection, thereby making it impossible for me to restart the silly thing. Jeri told me a method to "restart a computer remotely," but it later came to light that you had to be on the computer you were restarting. I fail to see how this is "remotely," and I ended up calling Elder Hendrix and getting him to go out and restart the silly thing for me.
  • My computer started doing this really lame thing where it works for anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour and then freezes and dies. It requires a hard reboot, so this is all very difficult to do from home. Fortunately, I was planning on going in to the office anyway, so that made it slightly easier to deal with. Of course, I kept losing my work and having to restart processes that got interrupted by the crashing.
  • Dawn called me in to look at something on one of the missionaries' computers. I just want to say now that I am NOT qualified to do tech support. Sadly, we don't have any tech support, so I end up doing quite a lot of it. But I maintain that it's not completely my fault if things go awry, as they did this time. In trying to create a shortcut to a file on this computer, Dawn had accidentally dragged an entire folder. Now, this should have just created a shortcut to the folder, but things were very wonky. The folder and all its files were showing up in the taskbar in a way that I had never seen before. But given what had been done, it still should have been a shortcut, so I took the plunge and deleted it. Of course, by the powers of whatever gods were trying to torment me, it wasn't a shortcut, and I deleted the folder. (The best we can figure is that the folder actually moved to that comp instead of either creating a shortcut or just copying.) We still haven't figured out what happened, but by the time I was done with it, that folder and all its hundreds of spreadsheets were gone. I called Jeri, but there was no recovering it, as it was not in the computer's recycle bin or in the server's. If this doesn't make sense to you, you're in good company. But it's true. (About here is where I started in with a full-blown migraine, by the way.) Fortunately, Jeri does daily backups of this folder, so the only things that were really lost were work from Friday. And since I was the only one in that folder, it didn't take too long to recreate what I needed. (Actually, the luckiest thing that happened all day was that my computer crashed while I had a massive spreadsheet open, so when I re-opened Excel, it recovered it and I was able to save a copy instead of recreating it, which would have taken a long time.)
I'm pretty sure Dawn thought I was more upset with her than I actually was because I get...not mean, but terse, I guess...when I'm in pain. And I was in a lot and trying to solve a huge problem of my own making at the same time. So even though I truly didn't blame her (how could I, when the only thing we know for sure is that I'm the one who deleted the folder?), there wasn't a lot of smiling going on.

I was so glad to get home, vent to Kyle, and relax. Fortunately, the rest of my day wasn't as cursed; I probably would have gone stark raving mad if it had been.

Tianna, you should be really grateful you didn't work on Friday, as you would have definitely gotten dragged into the madness.

No comments: