Monday, November 17, 2008

It's impossible to overstate how very much of a Monday it's been today.

  • I set my alarm for p.m. instead of a.m., so I didn't start work until 11.
  • The beaters of my new mixer got stuck and it took me at least five minutes to get them out.
  • On my way in to work, I discovered a large tear in the lace around the bottom of my shirt. Looks like this shirt won't be worn to work anymore. Or anywhere I need to be presentable.
  • I took my leftover pizza for lunch today. I just heated it up on some paper towels, resulting in me burning my fingers carrying it back to my desk. And then I had to sacrifice all the cheese that melted off the pizza, as it became all paper-towelly.
  • I arrived at work to a chat from Jeri, yelling at me for not having my voicemail set up. Ok, I had no idea I would have to put in a ticket to get that done.
  • This, of course, meant a call to the Unhelpful Desk, which always makes any list of Things That Killed My Good Mood.
That's all the non-work stuff. (Well, the voicemail issue was very much work. But still.) Not to worry, though! There was plenty of work mess, too!
  • The missionaries came to me with a weird book. It contains the same info on the left and right pages, except that one is in English and t'other is in Spanish. Oh, and just to make it interesting, there are unique pictures on each page (just in case you thought it would be as simple as scanning only the English pages.) Aside from issues of organization and formatting, the OCR on our general book class is English only. We could set up one for Spanish, but it's impossible to process one book in two batch classes. So either way, the book would only be searchable in one language. (This issue is still unresolved, by the way. We're still trying to decide what will work best.)
  • I had several fun books of my own to mess with. One refused to be imported into our software. (We've had this problem before, but that doesn't make it any simpler. Or less nonsensical.)
  • Another book couldn't decide if it was volume one or volume two. Or possibly both. It depended on where you looked.
  • Yet another book was three volumes bound into one book. The extra-awesome part was that its numbering was totally wonky. Volume one was pages 1-826, volume 2 was pages 1001-1848, and volume three was pages 2001-end. So bizarre.
  • And, to make this all even more fun, my software kept crashing. This is even worse than it looks, since it's not a simple issue of restarting it. When you crash out, it takes the program anywhere from 5-20 minutes to realize it's not running anymore. As long as it thinks it's in progress, it won't let you restart. So it's like this: crash, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaait, restart. Process two pages. Crash, waaaaaaaaaait, restart. So aggravating! I finally decided to cheat. Take that, Kofax!
At least now I am home. I have had my yummy dinner, which turned out quite well (I'm learning how to use a crock-pot). Hopefully we'll have no further evidence of today's Mondayness to wrestle with.

No comments: