Thursday, April 30, 2009

So Dang Tired

I am exhausted. My hands have been cut and scraped to shreds, and my back is killing me. Today was Moving Day, and it about did me in. For me, the emotional ride actually started yesterday. I got up and started working, and everybody and their dog wanted something from me now. Of course, everything that was wanted required the same software, so I could only do one thing at a time. When my computers were working. Which they often weren't. On top of all that work drama, I was needing to spend the day packing, so I was quite stressed.

Please keep in mind that my emotional fortitude has been sapped by 5 days of migraines. Even when I wasn't in pain, my nerves were severely frayed, so when stuff started piling up, I lost it pretty quickly. Not to mention that although I've impressed myself with the level of strength and energy I've recovered, I'm still quite a bit down from pre-hospital levels, as well as not sleeping well all week, so I've been physically tired as well.

But I managed to get a fair amount of packing done yesterday, and Kyle's roommate was kind enough to use his truck to transport my bookcases, desk, and big chair. He even helped bring the 10 boxes of books up the 3 flights of stairs to the condo. (I was pathetically useless when it came to lifting even moderately heavy boxes.)

Anyway, today, I didn't work at all. I still had most of my stuff to pack and move, and I was originally planning on checking out of my house at 4 pm. (Yeah, right. That was pretty quickly moved back to 8:30 pm.) So I get up this morning, and I'm properly daunted by the task ahead of me. But I get going, and it's all moving along fine. Until I take down the curtains in my bedroom to reveal a spider's nest. I ran out to the living room and my computer, shaking violently all the while. I got online and freaked out to Kyle. And Tianna. And a coworker who had made the mistake of trying to encourage me. I couldn't go back in my room, I told them. Not possible. And then I started to hyperventilate. There was just too much to do! I'd already been packing for a couple of hours, and you couldn't even tell. And now my room was off-limits. Annaleise (the coworker) pointed out that I was bigger than a spider. Which was, of course, completely irrelevant, but it was a nice try. She reminded me that I had almost died, but managed to beat that nasty stuff, so a simple spider's nest shouldn't be a problem for me. "Mere spiders," she said, "quake at the sight of the jolly red giant." This actually made me feel marginally better. But what if there were BABIES?!! I couldn't do it. Kyle told me to work in the kitchen; he'd be over soon. Bless him.

Kyle arrived, expecting, apparently, a nest the size of his fist. When he saw the actual nest, about an inch long and a half an inch wide, he laughed. Long and hard. (Mind you, he still didn't wanna touch it, either.) Anyway, while we were in the living room discussing it, I noticed a man in my front yard; somebody from the city. Apparently checking the water meter or some such. Then he came up the driveway to the power box, and Kyle decided he must be checking that meter, too. Then the power switched off. "Why would you do that?!" I screamed. (Not actually at the dude; he was outside. It was directed more toward the universe at large, I think.) Kyle reminded me that I had asked for the utilities to be shut off today. Which was true. I just hadn't expected it to happen at 11 am. So now I had no power and no water. (This very efficiently killed Kyle's plan to just vacuum up the nest (which I had disagreed with anyway, on the grounds that then the nest would just stick up against the filter [shudder]). He managed to find a can of Raid, though, which took care of it.) I'd had bedding in the dryer. I'd planned to put more in the wash, though that plan had been derailed by the spider's nest, as I was gonna put those curtains in, too. I also had dirty dishes I now couldn't wash. And food in the fridge. I couldn't help it; I started to cry again. Not actually sobbing, but tears running down my cheeks. Kyle laughed at me again. Well, first he hugged me and convinced me it was gonna be okay. Then he laughed. (He'll likely deny it, but there was definite chuckling.)

It only took 3 trips out here today (filling up both of our cars each time) to get my stuff here. Towards the end there, daylight became an issue. Rather, its absence. Even though it was still fairly light outside at 8:30 pm, it was quite dark in the house. Fortunately, my manager brought a flashlight when she came to check me out, and she was kind enough to stand there with it while Kyle and I emptied out the fridge. (Yeah, we should've done that during the first load, right after the power was turned off. But we didn't. Result: very soft ice cream. But I think it's all okay. I just hope the pizza rolls haven't been ruined!)

Anyway, I'm totally beat, and I'm going to bed. With any luck, the exhaustion will help me sleep better than I have been doing this week. Oh, but that reminds me! Today's the first day since Saturday that I haven't had a migraine. That made me very happy.

Other thing that makes me unspeakably happy: I will be moving again in two months. (That's not the cool part; moving is lame.) The cool part is that on that occasion, there shall be MOVERS. Who will pack and lift heavy boxes for us! Kyle and I perhaps reminded ourselves of this several times today.

And now, for reals, going to bed. And not setting an alarm. Bwa ha ha...

No comments: