Sunday, May 17, 2009

Summertime Catastrophe

Yesterday, we decided to celebrate the summerness that's come our way, so Tianna, BJ, Kyle, and had a very tasty outdoor dinner of grilled hamburgers (turns out, Kyle's a grillmaster!), corn on the cob, and angel food cake with Cool Whip and strawberries (obviously, I abstained from the strawberries: sick). But it was really nice outside, and we had a lot fun.

I told BJ that if he ate his corn in a spiral, I'd blog it, so here it is:
Now, you're probably all wondering about the catastrophe part. It's like this: Kyle doesn't own a cheese slicer (we were at his house). So I was slicing cheese for the burgers with a real knife and my fingers, which were pressing down on the blade, slipped off the end and got butchered. My left middle finger got the bulk of it with a nasty slice near the fingernail that bled like Charles Dickens. It actually rather freaked me out, 'cuz it was a lot of blood. Also, it really hurt. I finally got it reasonably cleaned up and was heading back out front to Kyle (he was grilling out on the front porch, and I needed his sympathy!) when I realized that the blood I had earlier washed off my index finger wasn't from the middle finger: I cut my index finger, too. Bother. So I headed back in for more cleaning and bandaging. And to take off the original bandage that had soaked completely through (I ended up just wrapping it in a paper towel and holding it tightly until the bleeding mostly stopped, then re-bandaging it).

Later last night, I wanted to change the band-aids and add some Neosporin, but I couldn't get the old band-aids off, as the material had somehow fused with itself and my skin. This was extra unforunate, as every time I pulled the bandage, it pulled on the wound and hurt. Kyle had to cut them off with a pair of scissors. All in all, the injury part of the evening was not fun. But we also played a rousing game of Pandemic, which was cool.

No comments: