Monday, February 23, 2009

"I like my waffles like I like my women: hot!"

Last night, Kyle and I decided to try our hand at waffles again. (In case you don't commit every weird happening in my life to your long-term memory, check out that link to refresh your memory. Who knew this would become an on-going feature?) Same as before, I mixed up the mix according to instructions. This time, Kyle checked it before using it; he declared it too runny and proceeded to thicken it up. So after it was of appropriate consistency, it was time to cook the waffles, right? Well, here's the first batch:I felt so extremely vindicated. It wasn't my batter-making skills at fault, despite the ridiculous amount of mockery I endured last time. Even after Kyle "fixed" it, we still had a mess. Which, this time, Kyle got to clean up (I was busy dipping the larger pieces in delicious buttermilk syrup (thanks, T!) and eating them):We decided the problem was either the PAM spray (did you know that's actually an acronym for "Product of Arthur Meyerhoff"? it's true!) or the iron wasn't hot enough. And so we proceeded to the second batch, this time without PAM:I'll admit, I laughed really hard. (Kyle was closer to weeping.) The iron got cleaned out once again (it was markedly easier this time) and for the third attempt, we let the iron heat up even longer. Success!Kyle was quite proud. We finally had waffles! Whole ones, neither pieces nor crumbs! It was a miracle. So next time we're gonna let the iron heat up extra long and skip the PAM and see if that does the trick. And finally, a side-by-side comparison of Kyle's handiwork:Heehee. It's a really good thing for me he's such a good sport. ;)

No comments: