Friday, February 27, 2009

VI: Infinite Worth? Not exactly...

I came up with a fun game. It's called "How Much is my Life Worth?" and it's played by adding up medical bills. Pretty sure I've gotten them all now, so here are some fun numbers:
  • Hospital Stay (including rooms, equipment, pharmacy, labs, and nursing): $83,314.63
  • Surgeons: $6,431.00
  • Anesthesiologists: $4,830.00
  • Radiologists: $541.00
  • Other Doctors: $ 1,628.00
  • Urgent Care (& CT & labs, for both visits): $1,482.60
...for a Grand Total of $98,227.23! Yep, that's how much it cost to keep me alive through all of this nonsense. Thankfully, that is not the amount I have to pay. But clearly, this is how much I am worth. An interesting thought. :)

And now, I think we'll take a closer look at that hospital bill. It's really quite interesting reading! (All 8 pages of it, front and back!) The single most expensive item was the room for my second surgery (not doctors, nurses, equipment, or drugs: the room itself), which cost $7,052.50. Insane! And the cheapest item was the iron supplements they had me taking, which each cost $0.28. So there was quite a range. Incidentally, reading through this bill is how I learned I have staples. The things surgeons don't tell you.

So if you ever start wondering how much your life is worth, arrange to almost die. It's an enlightening experience. ;)

No comments: