Friday, July 18, 2008

I get a gold star!

It's true, I do! This is the note I left Tianna on her board last night before I left work. Because why? Because I WIN!

Here's the deal. I've been working on a lengthy and complicated project at work for several weeks now, and last night, I finished it! You want more details? Very well. (This will probably get far more technical than most of you care about, so feel free to pretend that this post ends right here.) We've got serials online in a collection, but we wanted them moved to new collections, separate for Localities and for Surnames. Now, it's impossible to just move a book; it has to be deleted and reloaded. In addition to moving these, we decided we wanted to group them by volume, rather than by issue, which is how they were previously done. So I had to get the original files and combine the issues into one volume. Then I had to do the tricky part: merge the metadata. This involved some very complex work with large spreadsheets. And everything had to be just right, or CONTENTdm would yell at me. Or, if not that, it would load properly but be all screwy, with the title in author field and whatnot. Needless to say, I learned a lot about these spreadsheets and the way they have to be compiled. This generally happens in the background when we process books, so it was rather new to me.

But I finished! I combined 308 issues into 116 volumes and successfully messed around with all the accompanying metadata. They're all online and beautiful, and I'm really quite proud of myself.

No comments: