Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Disturbing Interactions

First off, I will admit to being a bit on edge today. My yesterday was filled with horror and terror (there should be a cool way to combine those words, but I can't find one!) and the upshot is that I'm both exhausted and a bit high-strung today. Just so you know. And just so you know that I know.

Okay, encounter number one: I was in the cafeteria downstairs getting lunch (which already creeps me out because it's crowded and I always feel like people are looking at me). As I was in line to pay, this older guy (50's? 60's? in any case, old enough to be my father, easy) sidled up to me to say "You're nice and tall." (And of course, as it was very loud down there, when I say he "sidled up," I mean he "sidled right up." Inches away from me.) What the?! What do you say to that? "Well yes, I have to agree that I am freakishly tall. Speaking of which, it's always been a sore spot with me, so I'm really glad you've just pointed it out. And in such a decidedly disturbing fashion! Thank you, Stranger, for your time." I mean, really. After I'd paid and was waiting for my co-worker to do the same, he came up to me again. Wanted to know where I worked and what I did. And whaddya know?! He works on the same floor! THEN, after I'd finally escaped upstairs, he tracked me down in my cubicle! DAH! Creepy man, go away! If he'd been younger, I'd have said he was hitting on me. And not in a good way. It certainly felt like it. But he's older, so it was all rather unclear. Either way, a certain case of unwanted attention.

Encounter number two: In the elevator down to the parking garage, the guy in there with me stared at me. The whole time. Guess what? I DON'T LIKE TO BE LOOKED AT! Gives me the creeping heebie-jeebies.

Second disclaimer of this post: it is entirely possible that people don't actually look at me very much. I mean, what's to look at? But it feels like it, and as I'm so self-conscious and insecure about it, it amounts to the same thing for me. It has been suggested that I start staring back at people, just to verify whether or not they're really watching me. Not sure how I feel about this idea, though...

No comments: