Sunday, March 23, 2008

Women

Our lesson in Relief Society today was based on Julie Beck's talk from the last general conference, called Mothers Who Know. She lists several things that women can be/do, but two stood out to me and really touched me. The first was nurturing, and all I could think of was the way my wonderful roommates have nurtured me during the last few months of insanity. They comfort me, listen to me when I need to talk and don't make me feel silly when I cry. They often take over the house cleanup when I just can't bear to act like a responsible adult. They humor me in my insanely stupid jokes. In so many ways, they have nurtured me and lifted me, and it has meant everything to me.

The last thing Sis. Beck mentioned was being strong and immovable. This struck me because it is included in the same list as nurturing, which the world tells us is weak. I have always believed in being a strong woman (and probably take it too far sometimes with my stubbornness and excesses of independence), and it meant a lot to me to be reminded that nurturing women, who care for others above all else, can also be strong. It reminded me of my mother, who is the strongest, toughest woman I know. I have always admired her ability to weather the storms of life, and look to her for inspiration during my own storms.

I am grateful for the amazing women in my life who exemplify the traits I want to acquire. Not only are they examples to me, but they have made me who I am and contribute to who I want to become.

No comments: