Sunday, May 11, 2008

Service & Shooting OR The First Sunburn of the Season

Yesterday was my ward's annual Service & Shooting Activity. (A couple of years ago, this was actually the first activity T and I heard about in our new ward. We wondered what, exactly, we had gotten into.) But it's actually really cool. Bishop has a construction company and is also an ex-Marine who lives in Spanish Fork. This makes him the perfect guy to build a War Veterans' Memorial in Spanish Fork, which he did, several years ago. So the Service part of this annual activity involves cleaning up the memorial in time for Memorial Day celebrations. It's a lot of work; there are five separate monuments, one for each branch of the military, as well as walls listing the names of veterans from the area. But it's good work, and it doesn't take too long when you have a dozen or so people going at it. (Also, it's located in a very nice cemetery, and I like to take a stroll amongst the headstones after we're done. Very quiet and peaceful. Even if the sight of so many children's graves breaks my heart.)


Afterward, we adjourned to the gun club for some pizza and shotgun shooting! I think that my favorite part of this is all the people who have never even held a gun before. (Like me!) Well, I shot last year, too, but only a coupla times. I was much improved this year. Not half bad, actually. Our second counselor actually told me to stop looking so surprised when the pigeons broke. Guess I looked shocked? (Actually, it was hard for me to tell, as I was busy trying to regain my balance after every shot. The recoil kicked me back on my feet every time!) After everybody who wanted to had shot a bit, we played a game. Everybody lined up, and the first person was supposed to hit the clay pigeon. If they didn't hit it, it was up to the second, and then the third, person. If the first person missed and the second person got it, the first was out. If the first two missed and the third got it, both the first and second were out. If everybody missed, all were safe. And we just passed the guns down the line, taking turns being first. We've got some sharpshooters in the ward, so I wasn't bothered when I didn't make it too far. But the last time we played, I won! I'll have to admit, I felt kinda spiffy. Even if my arms and sides are sore today, and I have a rather large, dark bruise on my arm. Oh well?

I know y'all are wondering about the sunburn part of the title. Well, I believe it got started during the Service and Shooting. I didn't notice though, on account of the fact that it was freezing up there! Seriously, when I wasn't shooting, I was huddled in a blanket with T. But then we came home, and I spent some quality time on a blanket in the backyard with the kitties and a book. Well, I'm paying for that. I think I actually alarmed several people at church today--my legs are basically fuschia. I've also got a nice red patch on one side of my neck, and my arms are quite burned as well. They don't hurt, though, like my legs do. T's mom made me lay down last night so she could put vinegar on them (she and Tianna both swear by this remedy, although I couldn't really tell a difference). Today, my skin is still hot to the touch and hurting very badly. Poor me. You'd think I'd learn, as this happens in some form every year.

Oh. Other dumb thing I did today: when I stood up in sacrament meeting to lead the rest hymn, I kicked my left ankle with my right high heel. Yep, I cut it open. (Not badly, but there's a clear line where I drew blood.) I amaze myself.

No comments: